Even for somebody like me who has a very positive outlook on life, it’s not always possible to ignore news headlines that keep telling us that disease is on the rise. Yes, it’s true that many of us — especially those in densely populated cities — live in an environment that is heavily polluted and toxic, and this affects our overall health… the air we breathe, the water we drink and even the food we eat (just think about all the pesticides and herbicides used on our food).
And yet, I cannot help but to feel that the mainstream focusses on scared instead of being armoured with information about how we can help protect our health.
One really easy way to keep your health on track is to take care of your vital organs, like your liver. This vital organ is responsible for a number of essential functions, including:
• Detoxifying blood from harmful substances like toxins, drugs and alcohol
• Stores vitamins and iron
• Converts stored sugar to usable sugar when the body’s sugar levels fall below normal
• Produces bile, a substance needed to digest fats
• Breaks down haemoglobin as well as insulin and other hormones
• Destroys old red blood cells
So, if you want to keep your health in peak condition, taking extra care of your liver is a must. Here are 5 easy ways to help support your liver function:
- Grapefruit is a rich source of glutathione — an antioxidant that helps to detoxify the liver. It’s also high in vitamin C that boosts the detoxifying enzymes and increases the natural cleansing process of the liver.
- Beets and carrots are both extremely high in plant-flavonoids and beta-carotene. Eating beats and carrots can help stimulate and improve overall liver function. And in addition, carrots are also rich in glutathione.
- Turmeric is the liver’s favourite spice and helps boost liver detox. It does this by assisting enzymes that actively flush out dietary carcinogens.
- Garlic is loaded with sulphur that, like turmeric, activates liver enzymes that flush out toxins and cleanses your blood. Garlic also holds high amounts of allicin and selenium, two natural compounds that aid in liver cleansing.
- Olive Oil provides the body with a liquid base that can “suck up” harmful toxins in the body. Other organic oils that equally support liver function include cold-pressed hemp and flax-seed oil.
I’m a firm believer that changing your diet is one of the best ways to support your health and sometimes all you need to do is make a few small changes and additions to see a difference.To a healthier life,
Did you find this information useful?
Then why not get more tips and recommendations just like this sent direct to your inbox?
As a subscriber to the free eHealth Insider e-letter you'll become a part of a growing global community who believe the ageing process is something to be celebrated and that living a long and healthier life can be achieved by anyone.
Disclaimer: Bear in mind the material contained in this article is provided for information purposes only. We are not addressing anyone’s personal situation. Please consult with your own physician before acting on any recommendations contained herein.
GLUTATHIONE, published online: webmd.com
The Mother Of All Antioxidants, published online: collective-evolution.com
The effectiveness of fermented turmeric powder in subjects with elevated alanine transaminase levels: a randomised controlled study, published online BMC Complement Altern Med. 2013 Mar 8;13:58. doi: 10.1186/1472-6882-13-58